Thursday, November 24, 2011

Creative Ideas to Transform a House Into Your Home

!: Creative Ideas to Transform a House Into Your Home

These days everybody seems to be concerned about recycling. Going green is definitely a good idea. I have a friend who is absolutely obsessed with this recycle/reuse trend. Since she lives in another city we don't get together often but, recently, she visited my home. She was absolutely enthralled by my decor. I was complimented over and over again about my wonderful recycling ideas.

Looking around the house----and I mean REALLY looking---I noticed things I had just taken for granted. I guess I do recycle to create themes for my rooms! So, let's take a tour of my home...

In the kitchen there's an old necklace jewelry box I redesigned into a key holder, complete with a hinged door and "grapes". It has an antique-look to the grapes (they're recycled cluster beads I got from the dollar store one Christmas) and I sponge painted and sanded the holder to match.

I also moved a bedroom armoire in there to give me added storage. Hand crocheted potholders and knitted dishcloths are scattered throughout. Thrift stores were the source of small decorative shelves on the counters and the wicker covered wine bottles.

An child's dresser mirror was rescued from a going out of business store for .00. After making cherub figures from an old candy mold and plaster, I glued them around the edges of the mirror, painted them all black, spot sanded for an aged look and highlighted with gold. a mirror you could buy from a specialty furniture store!

Moving on to the living room...Since my husband is American Indian I decided to go with a Southwestern/Indian theme. I faux painted with a ragged effect right onto the white walls. I draped a sheer window scarf, complete with fabric rosettes, using rubber bands and the hooks that were already there. NO RODS!!!

A long shelf was rag painted to match the walls and attached over a bedroom door (it's a wonderful place to put knick knacks out of reach of my grand kids). Dream catchers and pictures, straight from the local Thrift store, line the walls. A little paint and the small pots I rescued from my neighbor's dumpster becomes a handsome detail. I made plaques from plaster and updated a dollar store frame with feathers and buttons for added touches. My most favorite thing is the large swag that hangs over my doorway. I gathered grapevines (from the back yard) into bunches, securing them with rubber bands, then I made a second one.

I put the two rubber banded ends together with wire and heavy duty twine. I hot glued a few pine cones and a raffia bow to "hide" the joining, sprayed it lightly with gold spray paint, let dry and it pulls the look in the living room together. Even the couch and most of the free standing shelving were rescued castoffs. I didn't tell you about my home to brag----I want you to realize that you, too, can do this in your homes.

I've given all sorts of ideas here. There's an endless supply of ideas and how-to's all around you. Check out bookstores, libraries, even the Internet. Type in a question and Go ogle search it! Look in magazines, even in your neighbor's homes (ask their permission to enter first ). You'll be amazed what that mind of yours can come up with!

Make your house a HOME!!! And GO GREEN in the process.


Creative Ideas to Transform a House Into Your Home

Hydroponic Drip Systems Clearance Sale








No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。